1998 Summary of VM news and changes to the site
(This summary has been modified to remove old/non-functioning links).
DB2 Server for VSE & VM Version 6 Release 1
(8 Dec 1998)
Columbia Energy Group
turns up the heat with DB2 and Sterling Software's VM:DB.
New VM Redbooks!
VM/ESA Network Computing with Java and NetRexx, SG24-5148-00
Programs used in the residency are available for download in the
(download, or read
Exploiting Recent CMS Function: A User's Guide to CMS
Application Multitasking, SG24-5164-00.
Programs used in the residency are available for download:
and download file.
- Review the Redpiece (Redbook-in-process) for
Web-Enabling VM Resources
- VM/ESA is EuroReady!
- VM Usergroup Milestones!
- VM Events reminder:
- IBM VM and VSE Seminars
in Orlando, Charlotte, Seattle, and San Ramon
- 99th Meeting of MVMUA
(Metro NY VM Users Association) on Thursday, December 2
- Modernize your mainframe applications is the subject of a
no-charge teleconference on Tuesday, December 8 hosted by
Sterling Software, Inc.
- Helpful RSCS hints and tips for
setting up LPR- and LPD-type links.
- VM Events reminder:
- VM and VSE Executive Briefing in Poughkeepsie (Nov 18-19)
- VM and VSE Seminars (November and December)
- Hillgang - Nov 19
- The teleconference, VM Applications Development Hints and Tips
scheduled for December 2 has been postponed until early 1999.
We apologize for any incovenience and will announce the new date
- Are your systems ready for the Year 2000?
list of products and service providers
for VM and the Year 2000 has been updated to include
Sterling Software, Inc.
- Join these VM Experts (Chris Casey, Chuck Morse, and John Hall)
in Detroit (Woodhaven) for the Oct 23 meeting of
Regional Users Group).
- Enroll now in the
VM Teleconference Call,
"VM Customers' Creative Solutions for your I/T
(sponsored by IBM North America, all are welcome to listen )
- Enroll now in one of SIXTEEN IBM VM & VSE Roadshows in
- The Value of S/390 to Your Business is the theme for
the Nov 18-19 IBM seminar for Executives interested
S/390 Medium- sized VM and VSE enterprise.
- The IBM
JavaTM Port for VM/ESA,
Developer Release 1.1.4 is available for download.
- The next
WAVV (World Alliance of VSE and VM) user group
is planned for October 23-26 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- We had initially scheduled some planned outages this
this week in anticipation of the migration to VM/ESA V2 R3.0
from V2 R2.0. As it turned out, we barely needed an hour
for changeover and verification.
We hope you enjoy running on your
VM/ESA V2 R3.0 system as much as we do ours.
- Help us to keep current the of
VM-related user groups by sending
us changes via VM Feedback.
- The Sterling Software, Inc.
VM:Webgateway helps Trans World Airlines
to leverage their investment in existing applications
without costly reengineering.
- Words from IBM VM Product Owner,
- Software Vendor News:
- Independent Software Vendors:
S/390 Technical Disclosure Meeting
will be held
November 2-5, 1998 in Poughkeepsie, NY
(with a full-day track of VM/ESA future plans and technical details)
- IBM SW Vendor Marketing agreements: (United States)
298-295 19980825 Software Vendor Marketing: EnterpriseWeb Mail
Handles Mail for a Mobile Workforce
298-294 19980825 Software Vendor Marketing: EnterpriseWeb Secure/VM
Delivers a Secure, Powerful Web Server
298-293 19980825 Software Vendor Marketing: VM:Webgateway and VM:Webgateway
OfficeVision Interface Deliver Full-Function, Secure Mainframe Web Server
- General Statement of Direction for
ADSM V3 for VM/ESA
- IBM enhances solutions for
Medium-sized S/390 Enterprises
OS/390 Automated UNIX System Option
for VM, VSE and OS/390
- New member of S/390 family:
S/390 Integrated Server
- For those who
share VSAM datasets with MVS (or OS/390) and
VM or VSE:
VSAM and Year 2000 white paper.
- H&W's DataShare Y2K suite of products.
- Teleconferences, Events, and Seminars...
- Mark your calendar and enroll in these upcoming
VM Teleconference Calls
- September 23: VM Platform Update
- October 28: VM Customers' Creative Solutions for your I/T Challenges
- December 02: VM Application Development Hints and Tips (postponed)
- September VM related events include:
- IBM S/390 Seminar in Omaha,NE
- WAVV - World Alliance of VSE and VM user group in Albany NY
- Register now for the October/November IBM VM & VSE Seminars in
North America and Brasil.
- European S/390 roadshows open for enrollment:
IBM S/390 "Pathway to the Future"
- held in 19 cities throughout Europe (some sessions in English,
Deutsch, Italiano, Espanol).
- Nominations closed 4Sept98 for
ITSO Residency on Web-enabling VM Resources. Watch
VM Redbooks for progress.
- VM in the Press:
An InternetWeek article (08/27/98) entitled
Mainframes Stand Ground in Web Arena
describes the growing popularity of mainframes for web applications,
and in particular mentions the use of OfficeVision/VM and Sterling's
VM:Webgateway by Trans World Airlines to provide
web front end to their 22,000 OfficeVision users.
Links to other VM articles.
VM/ESA support of IEEE floating point
- Seeking candidates for ITSO Residency on
Web-enabling VM Resources
| Nominations closed 4Sept98. Watch
VM Redbooks for progress.
- Searching for online pubs for VM?
Check out the new
VM Internet Library and let our information
developers know what you think.
The (March 1998) VM CD
Book Collection, SK2T-2067-14, is also available.
"How do I use the dynamic link library support in VM/ESA 2.3.0?"
(You can find this information in the
DLL chapter of the VM/ESA V2 R3.0 Application
VTAM for VM and VSE page has been restored.
- IBM is evaluating the VM installation and packaging process
and is interested in customer experience.
- Seeking your input....
which universities are teaching the
system configuration file statements
for 2000, 2001, etc.
Is your VM system ready for the
- View the VM CD
Book Collection, SK2T-2067-14 (March 1998)
feature...open for Beta.
- Looking to try something new? Check out
the VM Beta page.
- InformationWeek article,
Mainframe Data Online describes numerous ways companies
are serving legacy data for internet applications. Quotes from
Brian Reaves (Beyond Software, Inc), Jeff Savit
(Merrill Lynch), and Bob Nix (Lafayette Life Insurance Co.)
- Beyond Computing article,
The Mainframe Meets the Web
by Jenny C. McCune, discusses how mainframes (& VM) put power
and reliability into internet applications, with quotes from
VM customers. July/Aug 1998, volume 7 no. 6
- Mark your calendar with the date and location of the 1999
VM and VSE Technical Conference - May 24-27, 1999 in Orlando!
- Beta 2 level code for the
VM/ESA implementation of Java
which includes full use of the JNI (Java Native Interface) is available
- Enroll/Order Tapes of
- June 25 - Getting Started with DataWarehousing
- June 17 - 1998 Announcement Highlights for VM and VSE
- New and
important dates of upcoming VM events
- New page for related product
DMS/CMS. (See the entire
related product and feature listing.)
Two beta test programs for VM'ers:
- The latest issue of IBM S/390 Bulletin.
- Enroll now in course S3740,
VM/ESA Communications and Connectivity,
which will be taught by Gary Detro one more time!
- New to the collection of
VM and VSE guest information is Bill Bitner's
VM for VSE Guest Performance presentation.
- More answers to your
most pressing questions about VM/ESA V2 R3.0 (Thanks to Denny
in light of the May 7, 1998 S390 Announcement.
- New S/390 Generation 5 (G5) server!
customer success stories --
for AMP, HOMAG, and WERU AG use of S/390 and VM.
- In response to your requests:
Program Directories for
VM base, feature, and related products. (Thanks to Tami Zebrowski-Darrow)
- VM and OS/390 related info, including
OS/390 AET, the
OS/390 Application Enabling Technology.
- June Teleconference calls of interest to both VM and VSE --
Sterling Software, Inc. Teleconference.
- We hope to see you in Reno the week of May 12-15 for the
VM and VSE Technical Conference
- Chicago Area VM Enthusiasts
(CAVMEN) meets May 7
in Park Ridge, IL
VSAM data sharing
A white paper:
across OS/390 and VM and VSE after Year 2000
- Reusable Server Kernel
(RSK) available for beta via download. (It was formerly known
as VM Server Superstructure.)
- New Redbook:
VM/ESA Network Computing with Java and NetRexx, SG24-5148.
sample programs developed during the residency
- Service page now includes
list of VM products serviced via VM/RSU and VM/ESO
- VM/ESA V2R3.0
Q's and A's updated to correct
response to Question 51, VM MQSeries Client
- VM Web tools info includes
Sterling Sofware, VM:Webgateway
- Seeking articles and Advertisements for Volume II,
S/390 Business Solutions Journal
- New pages for these related products,
- Hop on board the
Railroad Syntax diagram page
for help with VM command syntax.
- 1998 VM Events added weekly...
- ENROLL TODAY!
VM and VSE Technical Conference, May 12-15 in Reno, NV.
Come hear your favorite presenters from around the world including
Mike Cowlishaw, Melinda Varian, Gretchen Thiele, Richard Lewis,
Bill Bitner, Perry Ruiter, Mike Donovan, Vinnie Casale,
Neale Ferguson, Gary Eheman, John Franciscovich, Chuck Morse,
Tracy Dean.....shall I go on....Will Roden, Romney White, Alan
Altmark, Rick Barlow, Chris Bolinger, Amanda Bright,
Alice Crema, Ken Drysdale, George Madl, .......yes there are more...
Karl Pesendorfer, Erich Amrehn, Barton Robinson, Pam Bryant, Marty
Zimelis, Marty Ziskind, Bob Kusche, Mike Lude, Les Geer, Mark
Vitale, Rae Ann Taylor, Marty Horan, Bill Scully, Ted Posner...
...and more...come to the conference to listen, learn and enjoy.
VM/ESA V2R3.0 Generally Available on 27 March 1998
- New collections of information to help our readers:
OfficeVision/VM Release 4
is Generally Available.
- Join us in Frankfurt at the
VM & VSE Technical Conference
held concurrently with the OS/390 and Storage Conference.
- VM/ESA V2R3.0
- VM Product Owner comments on
Coexistence with OS/390.
- Enroll for the March 26
VM teleconference about
VM/ESA V2R3.0 Early Customer Experiences.
- We hope to see you at one or more of the upcoming
- Think about attending one of the
New VM Courses from IBM Education.
S/390 Bulletin contains several VM articles
MicroTimes(tm) article, "Big Iron Meets the Web"
- Recently published Redbooks:
- Implementing Snapshot, SG24-2241
- Virtual Tape Server Implementation Guide, SG24-2229
- VM/ESA Year 2000 Migration: A Case Study, SG24-2042
Link to the changes made during: