The VM Download Library is a clearinghouse or repository for tools, documentation, and other nifty gadgets of interest specifically for VMers. We have set up the library so that both IBMers and non-IBMers can submit content and so that anyone can take content.
Where are the VM downloads?
Any time you download something from a page on the VM site, you are performing a download from the VM Download Library. That said, we've tried to organize the downloads for your convenience:
- The VM packages page contains a summary of all of the downloads on the VM site.
- You might also find items residing on product pages or topic pages. For example, you might find a performance-related download on one of our performance pages.
- Our developer pages contain downloads contributed by our developers.
How to Download Something
Before you download anything from this library (that is, from this VM site), you must read the license agreement for downloads. Each package in this library consists of at least one, and potentially all, of the following kinds of downloadable files. Not all packages will have all the pieces.
- VM content is in a VMARC archive.
- PC content is in a ZIP archive.
- UNIX content is in a TAR archive.
Downloading VMARC Archives
To download a VMARC archive from this VM site (aka the packages page):
- Click on the package's v,
- Instruct your browser to save the file to disk
- Upload the file to VM in BINARY
- Run the file through this pipeline (where 'fn' is the name of the file you uploaded):
PIPE < fn VMARC A | fblock 80 00 | > fn VMARC A F 80
- Unpack the resultant file using VMARC:
VMARC UNPK fn VMARC A
- Click here and instruct your browser to save the file to disk,
- Upload the file to VM in BINARY,
- Run the file through this pipeline:
PIPE < VMARC MODULE A | deblock cms | > VMARC MODULE A
We also have a help file for VMARC. Upload and reblock it to use it, just like you would for the module. Note: if you are running VM/ESA 2.2.0 you will need to apply APAR VM61031 in order for VMARC MODULE to work correctly on your system.
We are told that at this web site there is a package called VMAGUI, which can unpack a VMARC archive on a Windows or Mac system. Use at your own risk.
Downloading Other Archives
To download other archive types from this library:
- Click on the type indicator for the desired package, and
- Instruct your browser to save the file to disk.
How To Contribute Your Tool for Download
Before you consider submitting anything to this library, you should read the license agreement for downloads. This license agreement contains the terms under which people will take your submission from this library; read it carefully. We've tried to write the license in a way that will encourage you to share your own favorite toys with other VMers.
When you're ready to submit something, look to the following pages for specific information and guidance:
For submissions of IBM-written content:
For submissions of non-IBM-written content:
We welcome constructive submissions and hope to see your submission soon!