z/VM 7.1 Resources
Last Updated: 9 December 2019
IBM enters into a new era for delivering enhancements to z/VM advanced virtualization technology with z/VM Version 7.1. With the adoption of the z/VM Continuous Delivery model, IBM offers z/VM V7 clients timely introduction of new functions in the service stream and a two-year release delivery model that helps clients predictably manage the life cycle of their z/VM systems. The z/VM Continuous Delivery model provides schedule flexibility as IBM partners with the z/VM community in the development and delivery of new functions.
To support continuous deployment of the new z/VM functions, z/VM V7.1 includes the Single System Image (SSI) function as part of the z/VM V7.1 base at no additional cost. This helps z/VM users reduce planned outages of their Linux workloads as they adopt the z/VM Continuous Delivery model. z/VM SSI was a priced feature of z/VM Version 6 and offers Live Guest Relocation and single system maintenance. It gives IT professionals a mechanism to operate Linux virtual server images without experiencing planned interruptions as they apply updates to their z/VM system.
The z/VM Continuous Delivery News web page will be the primary vehicle used by IBM to describe new functions that are planned for z/VM. It is the recommended way to keep track of future development and support plans for the z/VM product. z/VM clients should consider subscribing to this page. Instructions are included on the VM Site File Change Notification web page.
z/VM 7.1 is supported on the IBM zEnterprise BC12 and EC12 or later IBM Z server.
For more details on z/VM 7.1, refer to the announcement letter below.
Announcements and News
- August 7, 2018 - z/VM 7.1 Announcement - A new era for delivering enhancements to z/VM advanced virtualization technology with z/VM Version 7.1.
[October 16, 2018 - Revised technical information: IBM z/VM V7.1]
US - 218-532 EMEA - ZP18-0634 AP - AP18-0514 Canada - A18-0805 LA - LP18-0630 Japan - JP18-0636
- April 10, 2018 - z/VM 7.1 Preview Announcement -
Ushering in a new era for delivering enhancements to z/VM
advanced virtualization technology on IBM Z servers.
US - 218-150 Europe - ZP18-0183 AP - AP18-0142 Canada - A18-230 LA - LP18-0182 JPN - JP18-0179
Ordering and Availablility
- z/VM V7.1 ordering begins: September 18, 2018
- z/VM V7.1 general availability: September 21, 2018
- SDO (System Delivery Offering) is the only method that can be used to order z/VM 7.1
- Internet delivery for z/VM Orders via Shopz
- Tips for ordering z/VM on DVD via Shopz
Service and Support
- z/VM 7.1 Introduction (4:10 duration)
- Continuous delivery video - an explanation of what it's all about. (11:22 duration, 54MB)
- Continuous delivery presentation with speaker notes - an explanation of what it's all about (10 slides, 1MB)
- z/VM 7.1 Architecture Level Set
- z/VM 7.1 Program Directories
- Frequently Asked Questions
- z/VM 7.1 Data Sheets
- Customer references and stories