Upgrade In Place
Upgrade In Place was introduced with z/VM V6.3 to help upgrade a release with minimal disruption to the current running release. You can upgrade to a release that is currently in service. ex: V6.4 can upgrade to either V7.1 or V7.2.
The upgrade process is different from the traditional migration process because it will install the new release to a temporary work system second level. It will move the new release to the current system with minimal impact. Select the version/release using the 'Change version or product' drop down at the top of the screen in the: z/VM Installation Guide. Upgrade is explained in Part 4 of the Guide.
NOTE: It can't be stressed enough that reading and planning is critical to the success of upgrading. Please read the Installation Guide and fill out the worksheets.
Benefits of using upgrade
- No manual merge of directories
- Automatically adds new userids to current system
- Upgrade files on existing disks under VMSES control
- Flag local modifications for review and customized files
- Supports upgrading both non-SSI and SSI systems
- Upgrade Installation with an SSI Cluster
- All members must be at the same z/VM Release level
- Support upgrading single members of an SSI Cluster
Is your system a candidate to upgrade?
- Must meet the following criteria. This
criteria is only kept up to date in the latest copy of the
z/VM Installation Guide, for the specific release. Use these as
- Running z/VM Version 6.2 or higher
- Must not have changed identity/subconfig definitions with user entrie for all entries in the initial directory shipped by IBM.
- Must not have changed IBM supplied USER or IDENTITY names
- Must not have changed IBM Supplied minidisk addresses
- Must not have moved IBM supplied minidisks to different virtual machine definitions
- Must not have changed the default values in VMSESE PROFILE or VMFINS DEFAULTS
- An override to the SERVP2P PPF is being used
- Upgraded from a mixed-release SSI cluster is not allowed