z/VM service required to run on the IBM z14
Last updated: April 10, 2018
PLEASE READ ALL THESE NOTES PRIOR TO UPGRADING:
- Unless otherwise noted, z/VM support for IBM z14 also applies to IBM LinuxONE Emporer II, IBM z14 Model ZR1 and IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II.
- The recommended Driver D32 level when EDEVICES have been configured is bundle 18b.
- If you are upgrading to the IBM z14, you MUST upgrade the Stand Alone Program Loader (SAPL), or else you won't be able to IPL z/VM. Refer to a red alert issued December 13, 2017 for more information.
- In order to install z/VM V6.4 directly on the IBM z14 you must order the newest deliverable for the z/VM V6.4 base product that became available on August 25, 2017. Once you have completed your installation of, or upgrade to, z/VM 6.4, APAR VM65942 must be applied.
- VM65942 has been found to have an error, and VM66071 has been opened to address it. Note that the problem found does not involve z14 support directly. It involves a scenario where older crypto adapters (Crypto Express 2 or Crypto Express 3) are configured as an accelerator shared amongst z/VM guests. Systems with newer crypto adapters (such as z13 or z14) or z/VM LPARs without any crypto adapters configured will not experience the problem.
- z/VM V6.3 is no longer supported as of December 31, 2017. Also, z/VM 6.3 cannot be installed on a z14. The PTFs for APARs VM65856, VM65942, VM65921 and VM65922 must be applied to an existing z/VM 6.3 image from an older IBM Z Systems server prior to moving the image to a z14.
The table below provides you with a list of service required for z/VM V6.3 and V6.4 to run on the IBM z14 with driver 32.
For z/VM V6.4,
you can check which service in the table below is missing on your system
and then issuing this command:
SERVICE ALL STATUS LIST VMREQZ14 SERVICE
- Refer to the matrix of Linux on z Systems distributions tested and supported for use on an IBM. It is very important this information is reviewed before bringing up any Linux distribution as a guest of z/VM.
- Refer to the 3906/ZVM subset of the 3906DEVICE bucket for the IBM z14 and LinuxONE Emperor II.
- Refer to the 3907/ZVM subset of the 3907DEVICE bucket for the IBM z14 model ZR1 and LinuxONE Rockhopper II.
- Refer to the library page for updated documentation for this support.
- For more details on any APAR, go to the IBM support page and enter the APAR number in the search field.
|z/VM service required to run on the IBM z14 with driver 32|
|APAR Number||z/VM Releases||Description|
|VM659421 VM660711||z/VM V6.4
|Provides support that will enable guests to exploit function supported by z/VM on IBM z14, including guest exploitation for the Crypto Express6S and RoCE Express2 adaptors.|
|Provides infrastructure support for ESA/390 compatibility mode within z/VM V6.2, V6.3 and V6.4, and must be installed on all members of an SSI cluster before any z/VM V6.3 or V6.4 member of the cluster is run on an IBM z14.|
|Required on all z/VM V6.2 and V6.3 systems in an SSI cluster that includes a z/VM V6.4 system.|
|TCP/IP Stack and NETSTAT support for OSA-Express6S|
|Dynamic I/O support for CL5 CHPIDs|
|IOCP support for CL5 CHPIDs|
|PI62275 PI65715||z/VM V6.4
|HLASM support for the IBM z14|
|ICKDSF support for the IBM z14|
|HCD support for the IBM z14|
|VM66015||z/VM V6.4||HCD support for the IBM z14 Model ZR1|
|HCD support for IBM LinuxONE Emperor II|
|VM66017||z/VM V6.4||HCD support for IBM LinuxONE Rockhopper II|
|HCD support for CL5 CHPIDs|
|HCM support for the IBM z14|
|HCM support for CL5 CHPIDs|
|EREP support for the IBM z14|
|IOCP support for the IBM z14|
|VM65986||z/VM V6.4||Guest exploitation support for the Instruction Execution Protection Facility|
|VM65987||z/VM V6.4||Guest exploitation support for the Guarded Storage Facility|
|VM65993||z/VM V6.4||Encrypted paging support|
1These APARs are on z/VM 6.4 RSU 6403 (1702)