DFSMS/VM Functional Components Overview
Product Number: 5706-116 FL 221
There are four major functional components of DFSMS/VM FL 221:
- User interface consists of:
- Interactive Storage Management Facility
(ISMF), which offers a set of menus, data entry panels, and list panels
that run on the user's virtual machine.
Through ISMF, you can select applications to:
- Perform storage management functions against the file and minidisk lists
- Create file, minidisk, and management class lists based on your criteria
- Define management classes
- Edit and test automatic class selection (ACS) routines
- Define the installation's space management policies in DFSMS configurations
- Activate DFSMS/VM FL 221 configurations.
- DFSMS module, which provides a command interface to most minidisk and storage management functions
- DFSMSRM module, which provides a command interface to removable media services functions
- A set of CSL-routine programming interfaces to removable media services functions.
- Interactive Storage Management Facility (ISMF), which offers a set of menus, data entry panels, and list panels that run on the user's virtual machine. Through ISMF, you can select applications to:
- Minidisk management provides:
- A high-performance data mover for copying CMS-formatted minidisks between like and unlike DASD
- The capability to do an integrity-evaluation of CMS minidisks
- The capability to perform the move and integrity-evaluation operations against a list of minidisks.
- Space management provides:
- Automatic assignment of management classes to SFS files and directories
- Automatic migration (with compaction) or erasure of selected SFS files based on management class policies
- Migration to ML1 and ML2 (lower cost tape and/or dasd)
- Automatic recall of migrated files upon reference
- Command-initiated migration and recall of files.
- Removable media services (RMS) provides:
- Support of the IBM 3495 Tape Library Dataserver to extend automated mount support and other library capabilities to VM users and tape management applications.