z/VM V6.4 Resources
- integrating applications and data,
- providing extreme scalability, availability and security, and
- enabling cost savings opportunities while providing the foundation for cognitive computing on z Systems and LinuxONE.
For more details on z/VM V6.4, refer to the announcement letter below.
Note: Included in the announcement is a statement of direction indicating that z/VM V6.3 is the last z/VM release planned to support the IBM System z10 server family of servers. Either an IBM zEnterprise 196 (z196) or an IBM zEnterprise 114 (z114) is the required minimum level of server for z/VM V6.4. Refer to the IBM Support Portal for the most current support lifecycle information for z/VM.
Announcements and News
- February 4, 2020 - End of Service Announcement
The EOS date for z/VM 6.4 is March 31, 2021.
- May 9, 2018 - New Function and Continuous Delivery
z/VM puts out new function on a continuous basis. To learn about new enhancements going out through continuous delivery and the proposed schedules see the Continuous Delivery page. To be notified when this function becomes available see the New Function APARs page.
- July 17, 2017 - IBM z14 Announcement - z/VM V6.3 and V6.4 provide support that will enable guests to exploit function supported by z/VM on IBM z14
- October 25, 2016 - z/VM V6.4 Announcement - IBM z/VM V6.4 delivers
industry-proven advanced virtualization capabilities to support the increasing
demands of a hybrid cloud environment
US - 216-075 Europe - ZP16-0111 AP - AP16-0073 Canada - A16-0138 LA - LP16-0110 JPN - JP16-0109
- February 16, 2016 - z/VM V6.4 Preview Announcement -
Delivering industry-proven advanced virtualization capabilities to
support the increasing demands of your business.
US - 216-009 Europe - ZP16-0014 AP - AP16-0008 Canada - A16-0018 LA - LP16-0014 JPN - JP16-0014
Ordering and Availablility
- z/VM V6.4 updated deliverable for z14 installation: August 25, 2017
- z/VM V6.4 ordering begins: October 25, 2016
- z/VM V6.4 general availability: November 11, 2016
- SDO (System Delivery Offering) is the only method that can be used to order z/VM V6.4
- Internet delivery for z/VM Orders via Shopz
- Tips for ordering z/VM on DVD via Shopz
- Upgrading to z/VM 6.4
Service and Support
- z/VM V6.4 planned End of Service.
- RSU (Recommended Service Upgrade) content
- z/VM 6.4 Publication Library
- z/VM V6.4 Statements of Direction
- z/VM V6.4 Data Sheet
- z/VM V6.4 Architecture Level Set
- z/VM V6.4 Performance Report (available on November 11, 2016)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Customer references and stories