z/VM V4.4 Resources
Updated: 06 Feb. 2007
This page includes reference information specific to z/VM V4.4 and made available in the time period following its announcement until central service ends September 30, 2006. Old, non-functioning links have been removed.
z/VM V4.4 was withdrawn from marketing March 31, 2006.
Support z/VM V4.4 ended Sept. 30, 2006.
See z/VM upgrade page to see about upgrading to z/VM V5.
(Search World Wide announcement letters)
- Feb. 06, 2007: z/VM V5.3 announced New !
- Dec. 6, 2005: z/VM V4.4 and optional features to be withdrawn from marketing March 31, 2006
- Oct. 7, 2003: Infrastructure Simplification
- Aug. 22, 2003: IBM introduces the Mainframe Charter
- Aug. 15, 2003: z/VM V4.4 General Availability
- Aug. 12, 2003:
IBM SW On/Off Capacity on Demand for zSeries...
US 203-202, CAN A03-1028, EMEA ZA030227, AP SO AA03-3094"
- July 29, 2003:
IBM Compiler & Library for REXX on zSeries R4
US 203-190, EMEA ZA030216, CAN A03-0976, AP SO AP03-1175
- May 13, 2003:
z/VM V4.4 Improves Virtualization for Linux on zSeries
US 203-128, CA A03-0621, EMEA/LA ZP030271, AP SO AP031117
- May 13, 2003:
IBM C/C++ for z/VM Speeds Time to Market...
US 203-129, CA A03-0644, EMEA/LA ZP030318, AP SO AP031120
- May 13, 2003: IBM Announces the newest zSeries, z990
Additional Hardware requirements
- Integrated 3270 Console Support when running z/VM V4.4 on pre-z990 servers (July 2, 2003)
- Check for appropriate service levels if you plan to put z990 Adapter Interrupt technology into production. (Jan. 26, 2004)
Ordering and Availablility
- z/VM V4.4 General Availability: August 15, 2003
- z/VM SDO (System Delivery Offering)
was the only method that can be used to order z/VM V4.4.
SDO included February 2006 service
- Upgrade to a current release of z/VM
- z/VM V4.4 Announced End of Service date:
- Initially central service for z/VM V4.4 was announced to be discontinued on July 31,2005, in Software Announcement US 203-128.
- On Aug. 12, 2003, z/VM V4 Software Support Lifecycle Extensions extend the End of Service Date for z/VM V4.4 to 08/31/06 and then extended it to 09/30/2006
- z/VM Reference Guide
- z/VM V4.4 FAQ (Frequently asked questions)
- Licensed Products Migration Matrix for z/VM V4.4
- Vendor (Non-IBM Solution Developer) Product matrix for z/VM V4.4
z/VM Performance Report
Updated in 2004 to include sections on "Queued I/O Assist" and "TCP/IP Device Layer MP Support".
- z/VM V4.4 Spec Sheet
- z/VM hosting Linux on IBM eServer zSeries
Papers and Papers
- The Value of z/VM: Security and Integrity
- Large Scale Web Serving Consolidation with zSeries servers running Linux and z/VM
- Samba Fileserving on IBM zSeries servers with z/VM
- z/VM Accounting and Monitoring for Linux guest machines
Online product documentation and publications